Thursday, February 12, 2009

Doctor Appointments

I took Cate to the pediatrician's office both Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday we went in for her synagis (RSV) shot. Yesterday we went in to see if her weight was up from last week. The dr said he wanted her to be up a minimum of 4 ounces. She was only up 3 ounces. He said for now he wants to remain optimistic and he's having a home healthcare nurse come to our house to make sure everything is going ok with nursing. We told him that she was a slow gainer in the hospital as well. She's always eaten well, but gains slowly. I guess she has my high metabolism. :) So I don't know when we go back to the dr to get her weight checked again. I guess I'll have to check on that. My aunt and uncle have been here this whole week helping me out. Thanks Uncle Virgil and Aunt Julie! They do things around the house and watch Cate while I nap. I feel so lazy. Cate is improving on the sleeping thing, but it could still get a lot better. She definitely sleeps better during the day than at night. It seems like we're going to the dr everyday. Tomorrow I have to have an ultrasound, chest x-ray, and echocardiogram. I had some testing done after having Cate to see why I had the HELLP syndrome (severe pre-eclampsia, the reason I went into labor so early). One of the labs came back positive that I had some genetic disorder that can cause heart disease. So I was sent to an internist to see what I should do. He determined (by doing more labs) that I probably have vater/vacterl syndrome. My trachea and esophagus being connected when I was born, me having half of a uterus, my right thumb not having a joint, etc., may all be connected to this one disorder. Tomorrow they are looking to see if I have a hole in my heart and if I have one or 2 kidneys. Can you believe I'm 32 years old and am still finding out things about myself?

Hey NICU nurses, Duke, Cate, and I will be up at Children's this coming Monday for a dr appt. at 1:15 pm. We're planning on stopping by. Hope to see you then. We miss you guys!

3 comments:

The Portas said...

Wow Jayne, that's crazy that you are still finding things out about yourself. I wonder about Elijah and all of his anomalies all the time...so far everyone has told us there is no real "reason" for everything, but who knows..

Julie and Virg are AWESOME! I'm so glad they are able to help you out this week. Tell them hello!!

Jayne, thank you for the note you sent. It made me cry...GOOD tears. :) You're doing such a great job. You are an awesome mama and your strength is so inspiring. Everything you guys have gone through is just as real as what we've been through.

Praying for some good weight gain for the cutie Cate! HAve a great Valentine's Day weekend, you guys...oxoxoxo

becca said...

I was randomly searching the internet for VACTERL and stumbled upon your post. My son has VACTERL...and wow...yeah, I'd be a tad overwhelmed to find out I had it now. That's incredible!

Anyway, I would be happy to help you find resources and junk or whatever if you're interested. Come visit our blog (eyeonthebaby.blogspot.com) and you can find my email address there.

I'm still stunned at reading your post. Hang in there!!!

- becca

Kristina Nash said...

I'm bummed I missed your visit. I'd love to see how much Cate has changed. You guys are on a wild ride for sure. It is crazy to me that they are thinking VACTERL at this point.

I'm thinking about you guys and thinking only positive thoughts. We do miss you guys here in the NICU!!